This post was originally published for the Speak Digital Network. To sign up, click here.
Candy Crush is a lot of fun.
So too is Monument Valley and Instagram and Shadow Fight 2. Each one is delightfully simple, engaging and fun. On the work side of things, email and calendaring are vital to daily life. Not fun to use but just part of everyday life.
There are apps and there are apps.
The question is this: which apps actually help you get things done? Which ones go beyond fun or killing time or pure utility? Which apps delight you? Which apps lessen your stress? Which apps would you insist on keeping on your smartphone if you only had five or six to keep?
Here are five that I'm currently enjoying that you might not be familiar with:
- 1Password: my go to app for managing 150+ passwords.
- Fantastical 2: my daily driver on the iPhone and Mac for an absolutely beautiful calendar experience.
- TextExpander: hard to explain and definitely for geeky, power users, TextExpander lets you create "snippets" of text that can be inserted anywhere at the stroke of a key.
- Busy Contacts: it's not cheap but if you're looking for an upgrade over your Mac's regular contact app, Busy Contacts is it.
- Canva: my guilty pleasure and what I use for the graphic quotes you see each week, Canva is absolutely stunning in terms of creating free, hi-res graphics for your blog or podcast.
These are apps that I use every single day. More importantly, they are enjoyable and point me towards greater purpose and productivity. I have less stress and can tune out the noise of daily life because of them.
How about you? What are your 5 go-to apps for daily productivity?
P.S. Check out the new podcast logo I created in Canva here. While you're at it, have a listen to them:)