Why I Bought Domain Names for my Whole Family
As I clicked "Purchase" last week, I was excited. I had just bought each one of my kids their own domain name. As we cheered for .coms and .mes that now accompanied names, there was an odd feeling of ... future possibilities.
Do you know someone who has his/her own website? I could probably count on one hand the number of my own friends who update and maintain their own sites. Each one of them has a growing "platform" that they use to share their message. As it turns our, each has seen the following:
- They connect with more people
- They have a healthy income
- They feel as if their work is making a difference
I even recommend to new teachers at work that they build their own website in order to broaden their platform.
My kids too. They will, one day, need a domain name if they are going to build their own website and platform.
What is a platform and why do you need one?
- A platform is a vehicle for sharing your message. Your message is what you truly believe in and are trying to promote.
- A platform can consist of social media outlets (Twitter, Facebook, etc.).
- A platform ought to include a personal website (via Squarespace or Wordpress).
- A platform can enable you to interact with others of like-mind, sell product or share your thoughts.
What does my platform consist of?
- My personal website (www.mikestpierre.com)
- My social media outlets (Twitter, Facebook, Google Plus, YouTube, LinkedIN, Instagram)
- Techspiration podcast
- Speak Digital Weekly Newsletter
- Public speaking and pro-bono work
Don't just take it from me, hear from the experts!
- Jeff Goins on Platform Building
- Paul Bruns on Personal Branding
- Michael Hyatt Platform Infographic
- Amy Porterfield on Pinterest Tips
So do you really need a website to get your message across and build your brand? Absolutely! Think of it as a homebase for your work, your thoughts and your network. I've been blogging since 1999 and have never looked back. In each job interview, my site has been talked about. In each workshop I give, my site has been used as a follow up tool.
You can do this too! If you need help in getting started on your own site, just email me at firstname.lastname@example.org and I will help you begin the exciting process of building your own platform, one step at a time.
What's holding you back from starting your own website?
P.S. In case you missed my epic interview with productivity guru (and bonsai pruner!) David Allen, click here.